computer facts, internet facts – Since the advent of the Internet, computers have played a big role in the tech space. computers have transformed our relationship with tech, business, shopping, etc. Today, we spend a large percentage of our time with computers and smartphones. A look back into the past showed inventions’ existence that is rooted back in that era in which those that were considered impossible became reality. What was impossible in the 70s became possible in the 90s and today, scientists are already making predictions of what would happen by 2050.
Computer Facts, Internet Facts
Let’s take a look into amazing facts about computers and the internet you probably didn’t know;
1. The first 1 GB hard drive was invented and announced by IBM in 1980, weighed around 550 pounds, and priced at $40,000.
2. The 12 engineers who made IBM PC were named as “The Dirty Dozen”.
3. The World’s first super computer was developed by IBM in the year 1956 which weighed nearly a ton, and stored up to 5 MB of data.
4. The first electronic computer name ENIAC weighed around 27 tons and occupied an area of about 1800 square feet.
5. The computer that ran on water was Engineered in Russia and it was built in 1936 in an attempt to solve partial differential equations.
6. An average of 6000 viruses are created every month, and the best OS to consider using in order to stay secured is Linux OS.
7. 9 out of 10 of the world’s supercomputers run on Linux.
8. The first website ( info.cern.ch ) that went online was created by Tim Berners-Lee at the research lab CERN 1990.
9. The term “GPU” became more popular when NVIDIA released GeForce 256 in the year 1999.
10. Wireless Internet signals generally emit from your router in a doughnut shape. Tasty.
11. A normal human being blinks around 20 times a minute, while a computer user blinks just 7 times a minute on average. Simply, because we tend to concentrate more on the screen.
12. Previous names for wireless Internet were WaveLAN, FlankSpeed, DragonFly, WECA, and IEEE 802.11b Direct Sequence, before the more consumer-friendly name of Wi-Fi was adopted.
- Megabytes used to weigh hundreds of pounds.
The first computer mouse wasn’t made from plastic. It was from wood.
Mark Zuckerberg is color blind. This is why he purposely chose a blue color scheme because he has red-green color blindness!
- The first computer virus was harmless.
Most internet traffic isn’t from real humans. About 51% of internet traffic is non-human and Over 30% is from hacking programs, spammers, and phishing.
The Apple Lisa was the first commercial computer with a Graphical User Interface (GUI) and a mouse.
The Radio took 38 years to reach an audience of 50 million.
“Android” is gender-specific and the word “Android” means a human with a male robot appearance.
Domain name registration used to be free.
There is an artificial intelligence that can predict epidemics.